Inventor Matthew Perks of DIYPerks is back at it again, and this time, he’s managed to build a sleek USB-C microphone from scratch that rivals far more expensive models.
How so? The most important part was finding the same microphone capsule used in the CAD E100S, a $ 600 USD microphone. Next, he had to build a basic pre-amplifier that boosts its output up to line-level. Read more to see the entire build and additional information.
After the pre-amplifier was completed, it was then connected to the microphone module with custom cable fabricated from two enameled wires, which will not transmit vibrations, wrapped inside desoldering braiding for shielding purposes. The pre-amp output was then fed into a USB audio interface, and the rest is history. Now a homemade USB-C microphone can not just sound good, it has to look the part too, and that’s why it was encased in custom brass mesh shielding.
Blue Yeti USB Mic for Recording and Streaming on PC and Mac, Blue VO! CE effects, 4 Pickup Patterns, Headphone Output and Volume Control, Mic Gain Control, Adjustable Stand, Plug and Play – Blackout
- Custom Three-Capsule Array: Produces clear, powerful, broadcast-quality sound for YouTube, game streaming, podcasting, Zoom calls and music.
- Blue VO! CE Software: Craft the perfect broadcast vocal sound and entertain your audience with enhanced effects, advanced modulation and HD audio samples. Advanced Blue VO! CE is compatible with Yeti, Yeti Nano and Yeti X. To access Blue VO! CE, please download Logitech’s free G HUB software.
- Four Pickup Patterns: Flexible cardioid, omni, bidirectional, and stereo pickup patterns allow you to record in ways that would normally require multiple mics.
- Onboard Audio Controls: Headphone volume, pattern selection, instant mute, and mic gain put you in charge of every level of the recording and streaming process.
- Unique Positionable Design: Adjust and pivot the microphone in relation to the sound source to optimize your sound quality.